Saturday, September 8, 2007

(written Thurs. Sept 6, 2007)

Hey, It’s been a few days since I updated this thing we’ve had some pretty serious driving and some cool shows. I’m sitting in a room at Dan Collin’s parents house in Tulsa, OK with my head throbbing from too much free Pabst. The past few days have been really exciting and we got some great shows coming up. Let me give you a little recap.

The morning after the Vegas show we left Bobby and Louise’s place for Guitar Center to go get a spring for the kick pedal that got busted the night before. Guitar Center didn’t have the part, but some guy in line said he had it at his house. At this point we had no other option but to go with the guy, first to Home Depot, then to his house. To make a long story short, the guy wound up being one of the members of the Blue Man Group, and fixed our drum for free. Thanks Vince, you rule!

The drive out of Vegas to Albuquerque, NM took us about nine hours, and we lost an hour in time zones. We drove over the Hoover Dam, passed through the pines of Flagstaff and clear cross the whole state of Arizona. We arrived at Burt’s Tiki Lounge while the Dirty Novel’s were already playing. Luckily Dan’s cousin was at the club and told the people we caught on the road, and not flaking out. We played a fun show, to a rather intimate, Tuesday after Labor Day crowd. The Foxx and the Dirty Novels were both very good. After the show we went to a bar owned by the guys from the Dirty Novels and hung out until last call with plans to hit the road in the middle of the night. That obviously didn’t happen, instead we got some food at a 24-hour diner/Mexican food place and we found a hotel charging $21 a night. When Lenny talked to the man at the front desk he said rooms were $50 a night and to “never believe what you see in Albuquerque.” We really didn’t want to shell out some money to sleep in some dumpy motel so we found a dark spot in the road and crashed out for a few hours. I slept in the driver seat and when I woke up at 6AM, I drank a mate and started driving. It was a good thing, that I did since we didn’t arrive in Tulsa until 6PM. We got to Dan’s parents house and ate our first homemade food of the tour. Was also my first time eating crackers with jalapeño jelly and vegan cheese, which was amazing

Our show in Tulsa, at the Soundpony, was our most well attended of the tour so far and the people of Tulsa are really great. The whole club was really having fun during our set, and they all wanted to hang out and chat afterwards. The club also gave us unlimited free Pabst beer, and I’m paying for it right now. The other bands Wighead and Ghost were both very cool.

Were gonna head out on the road to Memphis pretty soon. Were playing with the legendary Silver Apples in Elvis’s hometown tonight. If you’ve never heard of the band you have to check them out, google it or something, and listen to their first two albums. If you like Krautrock, psychedelic music, Stereolab, or anything with an oscillator, you will definitely like the Silver Apples.

See you in Memphis!
-Danny C.

No comments: